Monday, February 23, 2009

Cranberry Yogurt Cake + Cranberry Orange Glaze

recipe here, glaze is my own concoction! (:

Recipie, with adjustments (:
2 eggs
1 cup of plain unsweetened yogurt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 or 2 tsp vanilla extract, to taste.
300 grams of raspberries, frozen (no need to thaw them) or fresh

Preheat the oven to 175° C (350° F).
Combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and blend together. Pour half of the batter into a ten-inch cake pan (bottom lined with parchment paper, sides greased), then pour half of the raspberries on the surface. Cover the berries with the remaining batter, top with remaining half of the berries. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand for ten minutes, and transfer onto a rack to cool.
The cake is better the next day.

Followed the recipe but made a few adjustments.
1. I added the zest of one medium/large orange and the juice of half of that orange. I also added in some orange oil since I wanted the orange flavor to stand out.
2. Used dried cranberries instead of fresh/frozen ones. [ basically what I did was took the dried cranberries and filled the bowl up over the top the cranberries were in with water, put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then let them soak until soft ]
3. Since this was a birthday cake, I took some powdered sugar, and poured a bit of the cranberry soaking liquid into the powdered sugar, along with the juice in the other half of the orange. Then, to make it a bit more orange-y [ before this it tasted like powdered sugar with a slight tinge of cranberry ] I added a couple of drops of orange oil. It came out PERFECT! And the glaze soaked into the cake and made it even MORE moist.
4. I also didn't have a 10in cake pan, so I used a 9 inch, cooking it for the full 45 minutes, and then checking it in two-minute increments until a knife I inserted came out clean. It spilled over just barely, and luckily not over the entire oven. But I'd definitely get a 10in pan just to put my mind at ease when I next bake this cake.
5. I also eyeballed the amount of cranberries I used. I just dumped the dried ones into a bowl and just went from how many I thought would be good.

Comments:
-This is a very tasty cake, and it is quite moist. I don't think it was TOO sweet, since I have a pretty good sweet tooth, if I may say so myself. It is better the next day, even as a cake for breakfast [ kind of like a coffee cake, perhaps? ] and my Dad says it's a cake that needs to be made again, especially when company comes over (:


No comments:

Post a Comment